Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Mom Rant

Recent computer troubles have now limited my online time so today's piece is going to take the form of a rant. I'd say a comic rant but since I'm no comedien, it'll just be a Mom rant, the musings of a Mom on the go whose six month old daughter doesn't like to take her morning nap anymore.

My day started when I packed up the laundry bag, strapped Eliza in her stroller and headed for the elevator. A guy waiting for the elevator made goo goo eyes at Eliza and then grabbed her foot. What's up with that? Since when is it okay to reach out and touch some one. Did I need to remind that guy this wasn't his baby? Instead I forced a smile and privately berated myself for not yelling at him. At least it was her foot, not her hands, right?

Walking in New York is always somewhat hazardous, even with this being the best walking city in the United States. Add a baby to that mix and it's downright terrifying. I'm nearly knocked down by angry driver's determined to make their green light at least four times a week. I don't really get the hurry, being that the next intersection they come to will inevitably have a red light. It's hurry up and sit there. Why would you honk and glare at the mother trotting across the street with her baby? The worst occurred when a policeman with no siren on, made a U-Turn in the middle of 10th Avenue (so he was now going the wrong way) then turned on 23rd Street and made it clear he'd mow me down if I didn't stop. Two guys chatting on the opposite corner were horrified and shouted out the license plate with glee. New York City police officer, license plate number 1215. Dude, if you're reading this, you suck.

Things that are gone--Eliza no longer snorts, not even when crying. I miss my little savage. And I'm sad to say the little sleep Superman pose is gone. When I saw it one night last week, I realized I hadn't seen it for a while. I became hopeful I'd see it again but now it's been a week and I haven't. No more Supergirl, my little lady is moving on.

What's new? When propped into a seated position she can stay there for a while. I wrap her fingers around the side of the crib and she sits there grinning. She's now faces out in the stroller so I can no longer look at her while we promenade. She's not crazy about the stroller these days but more on that later. For about a week, her favorite toys were her feet but that's passed. Now she reaches for the real thing, the toys she had no interest in up until recently. I can't say she has a favorite, other than whatever it is I'm holding in my hands. She drops things and tries to get to them now. She spends most of her time in the stroller or the swing reaching for what she just dropped, or looking at her waggling feet.

What else is new? She's not sleeping through the night again. She's gotten up once a night the past three nights either to nurse or just to get a little cuddling. Although I'll miss her terribly the day she gets her own room I'm really ready to start looking for that two bedroom apartment. I think we'll all sleep better when she doesn't have to hear me blowing my nose, her father snoring or the horrid creak the bedroom door makes whenever we open it. Maybe today I'll remember to get that can of WD-40.

Eliza started on sweet potatoes on Sunday in honor of her growing body and mother's day. I had a lovely mother's day of flowers, gifts and C heading down to the basement with the laundry cart. I was so grateful for the laundry faction of my celebration. Now that we've started Eliza on sweet potatoes, you can take a guess as to what color her poop is. Makes the idea of the peas I plan to impose on her tonight that much more terrifying.

Oh and what else is new, temper tantrums. I thought six months was two early for this but apparently I know nothing. Yesterday she ripped off my glasses and nearly ejected herself from the stoller, so determined was she to not go in there. The other night, she made two fists and held them up against her red face to let me know what she thought of her booster chair and the book I was reading. The terrible twos--already. Can't wait.

That's all for today. The little one's awake and grunting for my attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home