Thursday, February 02, 2006

February 2, New Mama Day 73

A little hungover today because I went out with some of my single friends last night and we drank an entire bottle of wine. I'm not really supposed to do that because I'm nursing (the going rate these days is half a glass per day) but I skipped a feeding and did a pump and dump. You SAHM's out there know what I'm talking about but for those of you who don't, that's when we pump breast milk (believe me, it's as exciting as it sounds) and then toss it. So Eliza won't get what I had, though I'm sorry she'll miss last night's dinner.

These past two weeks here in New York were what's called Restaurant Week. Participating restaurants offer a menu at a low fixed price--$20.50 for lunch and $35 for dinner. These prices are real bargains for New York City and I must say the meal last night was splendid. The four of us ladies went to Delmonico's, a notable restaurant located in the Wall Street area. Ihardly ever venture to that part of town and when I came up from the subway I felt a little bit like I was in Montreal. The streets were narrower, the buildings were shorter and it really felt very old-world European, for a minute. It felt decadent, seedy, I wouldn't be surprised if Jack the Ripper hung out down there. My friend Gina said Caleb Carr referred to Delmonico's as a setting for one of his historical horror novels and it seemed like a perfect setting.

We had drinks at darky, heavily wooded bar before dinner (I sucked down a full glass of champaign in minutes) and then proceeded to our table. The Wall Street men who filled the restaurant seemed a good deal better looking than the men I'm accustomed to seeing. Delmonico's is known for it's steak so all four of us ordered the strip steak. With the price fixed menu I was expecting a strip of steak the size of a Metrocard but it turned out to be a generous portion that could rival the Outback steak house in terms of size. And the flavor and texture was truly sublime. Last night was a great night to be a carnivore, I say this because C is a vegetarian and every day I'm confronted with my decision to eat meat. No, he doesn't make me feel bad about it but preparing meals for us both can be a challenge.

Perhaps this is the reason we're not married? Different dietary beliefs? These days people have done like the REM song and "lost" their religion so dietary restrictions have taken on a new kind of power. Instead of "Praise the Lord" it's "to hell with Transfats!" But I digress, let me get back to Delmonico's, it's a wonderful place to be.

We clinked glasses over our steaming, juicy steaks and congratulated ourselves for our good fortune. The three female friends I joined are all single (by the way, I still see myself as single) and childless. I didn't talk about my daughter too much--but I did bring a few pictures. Many women complain about losing their single friends after they have a baby and I'm determined not to do that. It's very easy in this life to be all "baby, baby, baby" kind of like Reese Witherspoon in that ad for "Walk the Line" and I believe not only in keeping my pre-baby identity, but in having diversified interests.

Mostly my friends griped about their jobs, a favorite American past-time. It felt funny, in my new stay at home job, to listen to tales of corporate politics and voluminous tears in Human Resource offices. I've never had to deal with human resources in my life except when I first came to New York, worked as a temp, and had to be fingerprinted when I worked at a World Bank right under what used to be the World Trade Center. But it was nice to hear about the corporate life at large, nice to hear it and be happy with my current station in life. Because as much as I might complain (and I'm sure I will on this site) about the changing sessions where she pees on me and the Vesuvius-sized mountain of vomit per day, I've never done anything that made me feel this necessary or complete. My old job was rather thankless, people only noticed if I'd made a mistake so I'm used to working without accolade or notice. Every time I look at those big eyes smiling up at me (yes, you can see her smile in her eyes!) I get a reward bigger than any wrap gift. And so many of them per day.

So for a few hours last night, I got to sip wine and lsten to career girl tales and forget the monotony of my days here in my pajamas. But when I came home and heard the tinkling notes of Brahms lulluby from her mobile telling me she was still awake, I was so happy to get in my own kiss goodnight. C enjoyed his evening alone with her so much, he was pretty disappointed I was home before midnight. The truth is, I was coming home before midnight before him, before Eliza. There just comes a point in life where that starts to happen and now it's so wonderful to have this little dreamgirl lying in her crib smiling up at me when I get there.

She's been asleep in her swing beside me for some time now. I must wake her and nurse her, dress her and get her ready to embrace her glorious new day, Day 73 of her lovely little life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home